2019 Lunar Kanza – Saturday, July 13th
Lunar Kanza is not a race… it is a fun, leisure night-time bike ride, conducted under a full moon on the gravel roads surrounding Emporia, Kansas. The course will take participants from downtown Emporia, out onto the gravel roads of the Flint Hills region of east-central Kansas. The Flint Hills have been called the “eastern-most part of the Great Far West.” Come out and experience these Flint Hills in a brand new way… under the light of the full moon. Afterwards, hang out and enjoy the Lunar Kanza Celebration!
Friday, July 12th, 2019
- 11:00 AM – 7:00 PM: Participants can check in early at Gravel City Adventure & Supply Co (716 Commercial Street). This will alleviate your wait time on Saturday!
Saturday, July 13th, 2019
- 12:00 PM – 6:00 PM: Participant Check in at Gravel City Adventure & Supply Co (716 Commercial Street).
- 6:00 PM: Ride Depart. The Emporia Police Department and Lyon County Sherrif’s Department will work to get us all out of town safely at 6:00 PM.
- 6:00 PM: Lunar Kanza Celebration open. Games, Music, food, drinks all available.
- 8:00 – 10:00 PM: Live Music – The Dewayn Brothers
- 11:30 PM (Sunday): Last call for alcohol.
- 12:00 AM (Sunday) : Celebration closes.
Lunar Kanza is packed full of value! Riders will receive:
- Opportunity to enjoy the Flint Hills at night with a great group of gravel riding enthusiasts!
- Post-race celebration party including games and music.
- Custom event apparel item.
- Post ride meal with two complimentary beverage vouchers.
- Glow stick bracelet at check-in.
- Fully stocked aid stations (will contain water, light aid station fare, and GU nutritional products), not to mention some of the best aid station volunteers around!
- Opportunities to secure entry into the 2020 Dirty Kanza.
We will be heading through Americus and around Kahola Lake. As always, folks can shorten the route as needed and Americus provides a great turn around location just 12 miles in. The course WILL NOT be marked. Riders will need to rely upon the GPS files or paper maps provided at check-in.
Strava FUN KOM/QOM Challenge –
Fastest man and woman times of the day on EACH challenge will win a Lauf fork, You can only win one KOM/QOM – share the love!
- Thunder Road
- Kahola Hill
Rides must be loaded to Strava by 9am on Sunday to be considered. Winners will be notified by email and an announcement on Facebook. Prizing can be picked up at Gravel City Adventure and Supply on Monday. We will ship prizing to out-of-town participants.
Your overall finish time DOES NOT matter in KOM/QOM Challenge.
As if there wasn’t enough fun already in store, you’ll also have a chance to garner some sweet (and we mean very sweet) SWAG. We will be hiding tokens throughout the course. These tokens can be collected and must be returned to the finish line to redeem a corresponding prize. Tokens will also be hidden in the finish line area for community members (non-participants) to find. Ride participant tokens will be indicated by a number and community member tokens with a letter. Please, only one token per person. Do not collect more than one token in an effort to give to your friends. Be cool, have fun, and share the love with your fellow gravel community! Let us know if you have any questions.
Lunar Kanza is a celebration of many things, the night sky, the Flint Hills, open range, riding on gravel, and community. Bringing the community together is the aim of the celebration party. There will be food trucks, beer (compliments of Mulready’s Pub), live music (The Dewayn Brothers!!), and games. Friends, family, and community members can join us for a free night of entertainment! The celebration begins at 6:00 PM and lasts until Midnight. The celebration party will be located in the parking lot behind Gravel City Adventure & Supply Co (716 Commercial).