Dirty Kanza Promotions is very excited to announce the addition of a competitive High School race to the lineup of events in 2018. While complete details of the event are still in the works, we are happy to state that the proceeds from this event will be used to establish Interscholastic cycling leagues in Kansas and throughout the Midwest. Click the links below to see current event information. In the meantime, all you High School cyclists should mark your calendars for Saturday, June 2nd, 2018 and plan to be a part of the inaugural Dirty Kanza High School Gravel Race!
Friday, June 1st, 2018
- 10 AM – 9:00 PM – Event Check-in will be conducted at the Lyon County History Center (711 Commercial St.).
- 10:00 – 11:00 AM – “Singletrack High” Film Showing at the Granada Theater (807 Commercial St.)
Saturday, June 2nd, 2018
- 8:00 AM – 9:30 AM – Morning of Check-In will be conducted at the All Veterans Memorial (933 South Commercial St.).
- 9:45 AM – Rider’s Meeting (933 South Commercial St.)
- 10:00 AM – All rider’s mass start (933 South Commercial St.)
Sunday, June 3rd, 2018
- 8:00 – 9:00 AM – Awards Ceremony (Granada Theater, 807 Commercial St.)
Registration will open on Thursday, February 1st, 2018. The cost to enter is $60. All proceeds go towards the creation of NICA cycling leagues in Kansas and throughout the Midwest!
There are four categories:
- Male: 11th – 12th Grades
- Female: 11th – 12th Grades
- Male: 8th – 10th Grades
- Female: 8th – 10th Grades
Your grade is as of the 2017-2018 school year.
All High School participants will receive an opportunity to compete and participate on a fully supported course. In addition to the experience had, and the knowledge that all proceeds will be used towards the creation of Interscholastic Cycling Leagues in Kansas and throughout the Midwest, participants will also receive the following with registration:
- Custom Dirty Kanza High School event apparel item.
- Every Finisher will receive a finisher’s prize.
- Podium awards for top 3 young women and men in each category.
- Custom event number plate.
- Fully stocked aid stations.
- Complimentary event photos.
- Premier timing provided by Manhattan Running Co.
- Opportunity to ceremonially ride down the famous Dirty Kanza Finish Line on Commercial Street.
Please read the guidebook prior to registering.
There are many reasons why our youth should be encouraged to get involved with cycling. Instead of writing you a novel on the subject, take a few minutes to watch these videos from NICA and be inspired!
The Dirty Kanza High School event will begin from the All Veterans Memorial on South Commercial (933 South Commercial Street). Venue parking can be found across the street to the East at Soden’s Grove Park. The course will be approximately 30-35 miles in length with two aid stations spaced approximately every ten miles. The course will be fully marked, however GPS links and paper maps/cue sheets will be furnished as well. The course will bring participants back to the All Veterans Memorial for the official finish line. While the clock will officially stop for participants here, all will be encouraged to ride down the official Dirty Kanza Finish Line located at 8th and Commercial in downtown Emporia. This is approximately a 1 mile ride one way, but we think it will be well worth the effort to be treated like a rock star as you come down the finish line chute!
The Dirty Kanza Youth Cycling Fund has been established as a way to raise funds to promote youth cycling in the state of Kansas and throughout the Midwest. Dirty Kanza Promotions is committed to seeing #morekidsonbikes. This fund will allow us to continue assisting with clinics locally for youth, and begin working on the establishment of an Interscholastic Cycling League in the state of Kansas and throughout the Midwest. It will take a lot of work and money to make this a reality. Dirty Kanza Promotions is committed to leading the charge on both fronts. As stated above, all the proceeds from our new High School event will be put in the Dirty Kanza Youth Cycling Fund. More help will be needed. If you are interested in helping us see this mission come to fruition, please email us using the contact us link above. If you’d like to make a monetary contribution, you can do so by sending a check to:
Emporia Community Foundation
527 Commercial Street
Emporia, KS 66801
* In the memo line write: Dirty Kanza Youth Cycling Fund
Unfortunately, we cannot accept payments electronically at this time. We are working to make this function available in the future. Thank you in advance for your contribution to support this mission!
It takes a village to help raise up more youth cyclists. If you are interested in volunteering for the HS event, please click here.