2020 Dirty Kanza Training Camp
Thursday, April 2nd – Sunday, April 5th
Dirty Kanza hosts a world premier training camp in Emporia, KS tailored for gravel enthusiasts each Spring. This 4 day training camp focuses on preparing athlete’s mind, body, and machine for the rigors of the Dirty Kanza and other epic gravel endeavors. Camp athletes will learn through educational seminars, test their equipment on the gravel roads of the Flint Hills, and train their bodies with abundant riding. In addition, you will enjoy great locally sourced food designed to keep you fueled throughout the weekend. And it wouldn’t be a DK camp without amazing goodies from our Dirty Kanza sponsors.
Camp includes entry into either the DK200 or DK100 event distances. There is no better way to earn a coveted Dirty Kanza finish, or potentially Race the Sun, than our Dirty Kanza Training Camp.
Dirty Kanza requires a lot to conquer, so we’ve got a lot in store to keep you stylin’ and survivin’ at DK!
- Entry into either the Dirty Kanza 200 or Dirty Kanza 100 mile event.
- Four days of guided rides on sections of the DK course, led by some of the most amazingly talented and friendly gravel grinders around!
- Professional mechanic support both on and off the bike.
- “Hot Topic” talks covering important DK survival info.
- Three dinners and breakfasts, and two lunches.
- 2020 DK Cycling kit (bibs and jersey, $200+ value).
- Great SWAG from top Dirty Kanza sponsors and cool DK gear
- Local discounts at participating merchants.
- Lifetime friendships in addition to the satisfaction earned from putting in the work to achieve something great.
Camp begins on Thursday, April 2nd. Plan to arrive early to get everything you can out of the weekend. Camp concludes on Sunday, April 5th at noon. Complete daily details will be provided to each registered participant.
- $2,200 (includes entry into either the DK200 or DK100)
- Minimum $400 deposit required to reserve spot in camp. Deposit is non-refundable.
We are very proud of the crew we have assembled to help guide you in your Dirty Kanza Training Camp experience. You will have direct access to former Dirty Kanza champions, professionals, sponsor reps, and weekend warriors who know how to get it done. These men and women have all proven themselves against Dirty Kanza time and again. Our coach to athlete ratio is 1:4 – that guarantees you will have ample time to ride next to and pick the brains of these extraordinary athletes all weekend long. Our mechanics are hand picked and are from the gravel-proven Midwest. These folks know gravel-specific equipment and are ready to keep you grinding down the road!
- Training Camp will take in many of the same roads used for Dirty Kanza. You will have a great opportunity to test your mind, body, and machine on the rugged and remote Flint Hills gravel roads.
- Expect distances of approximately 50 miles on Friday and Sunday and 100 miles on Saturday. That will put you at around 200 miles total for the weekend!
- Complete route information will be released to camp attendees.
This checklist comes directly from the Dirty Kanza Rider’s Bible.
EQUIPMENT CHECKLIST Each participant must carry with them (on their body, or on their bike) every item on this list:
- Cycling computer or GPS device. (To track your mileage.)
- Red tail light.
- Front light.
- Minimum of two liters of water or sports drink.
- Two spare inner tubes.
- Air pump or inflation system.
- A cell phone to contact the “outside world” should you need help.
ADDITIONAL Supplies You Should SERIOUSLY Consider:
- A GPS system to communicate your exact location to support or rescue personnel in the event of an emergency.
- Small pack / hydration pack
- Waterproof / windproof jacket
- Extra thermal top or warm layer
- An emergency / survival blanket
- Food – energy bars, gels, chocolate, etc.
- Tire levers
- Puncture repair kit
- Chain tool
- Allen wrench set
- Spoke wrench
- First aid kit
- Chamois Butt’r
- Chain lube
- Cash, debit card or credit card. (To purchase food, water, supplies.)
- Handlebar map case
- Camp Athletes are responsible for their own transportation to and from Emporia, KS, as well as to the ride start each day.
- Closest airports to Emporia, KS
- MCI – Kansas City, MO
- ICT – Wichita, KS
- Lodging – Candlewood Suites is happy to host a group rate of $79.99 for camp attendees. Simply mention that you are attending the Dirty Kanza camp when you call to make a reservation!
- There are many hotels in Emporia to choose from. For a complete listing, click here.
As our official bike shipping partner, we recommend using Bike Flights to ensure your bike arrives safe and sound to Emporia. Click here for more information
Ship your bike to Gravel City Adventure & Supply Co., the official adventure retailer of Dirty Kanza, offering professional assembly. GCAS will assemble your bike as well as tune all parts to make sure you are prepared to succeed at camp. Assembly includes front and rear derailleur adjustment, wheel truing, brake adjustment, along with checking chain, cassette, and brake pads for wear. GCAS will provide a complete package, so when you tackle the training rides, you do it without any mechanical difficulty. Having a professional mechanic go through your bike can be the difference between a good and bad ride. Additionally, GCAS will professionally repack your bike for you and ship it. The training camp cost for build and repack is $120. (Shipping charge separate.)
Please ship your bike so it arrives AT LEAST three days before training camp starts- that way if a part is damaged in shipping there is time to order a replacement if necessary, and you won’t miss a minute of riding. Gravel City Adventure & Supply Company is excited to help support DK training camp and is excited to see everyone. GCAS: “Building community one adventure at a time.”
The deposit of $400 for camp is non-refundable. Final payment will be collected 30 days prior to the first day of camp. The balance is non-refundable within 30 days of camp. Camp must be paid in full in order to receive entry into the event.