MEDIA RIGHTS AND RESPONSIBILITIES
The Dirty Kanza is a cycling event owned by Dirty Kanza Promotions and is held on public land. As a participant or member of the media, you must be aware of your rights and responsibilities.
PERSONAL VERSUS PROFESSIONAL USE
At the Dirty Kanza, you don’t have to be getting paid to be considered a professional. Professional Media is used to describe just about any media project that is intended for public distribution. The descriptions below are used to help us determine the proper badge for you. Please understand – we limit these to ensure the safety of the riders AND protect the seclusion and isolation of the Flint Hills and the intent to provide participants in the Dirty Kanza that experience.
PERSONAL USE MEDIA: Option 1
Participants and spectators are welcome to use photos, videos, and audio recordings obtained at the Dirty Kanza for their personal use. This includes:
- Sharing on personal social media networks.
- Displaying on personal websites as long as the websites do not sell any products or services.
- Posting to your personal accounts on photo-sharing sites such as Flickr, Instagram, YouTube, and Tumblr—as long as the posts aren’t commercial in any manner and the accounts aren’t used for purposeful promotion. You may not directly monetize any media through paywalls or advertisements.
PROFESSIONAL USE MEDIA: Option 2
If you wish to use any photo, video, or audio obtained at the event for any non-personal use you must apply for a Professional Use Media for The Dirty Kanza. We require this registration process to protect the interests of The Dirty Kanza and any professional that has media rights agreement in place with Dirty Kanza Promotions and the The Dirty Kanza. This team will be selected by Dirty Kanza Promotions and work with the organization for assignments.
- Publishing photos in a printed or online book, magazine, or newspaper.
- Using footage in a professional quality video.
- Displaying images on a non-personal website or in a gallery show.
- Using imagery in a documentary or TV show.
- Distributing media to any third-party group or publication. This includes offering photos for publication or making any commercial or promotional use of event media.
Dirty Kanza Promotions owns and functions as the event producer for the The Dirty Kanza. Dirty Kanza Promotions retains all rights to media produced at the The Dirty Kanza. Dirty Kanza Promotions will be working with several media partners to bring digital media live, recorded, and post-production content.
All interested media personnel and/or companies will need to register in writing in advance no later than May 1, 2018 at which point Dirty Kanza Promotions will have determined the media needs of the Dirty Kanza and the size of the production team. All approved media personnel are required to check in when they arrive to Emporia, Kansas, pick up the appropriate media credentials, and comply with the Dirty Kanza Promotions Media Credential Terms.
Click here to fill out our Media Credentials Request Form.